About Me

My photo
Bartlett, Tennessee, United States
I think one familiar short, yet most powerful statement a believer can say is "I’m “Walking by Faith”. At my age, I have been through countless storms, some small and some big. Nonetheless , my faith continues to carry me through. This is my life’s testimony. The world wants you to believe that there is something wrong with a life like mine because I've gone through and I’m still going through. They want you to believe that if you have what the Jones’s have then you are living a fulfilled life. Pretty funny, huh? Well, I walk by faith, and I know I’m God’s best. That should be fulfilling enough, and God is still completing me as I happily tell my story about how more complete my life is. As you walk by faith, you will be strengthened. You need to understand that challenges are merely new opportunities for you to reach your greatness. Finally, know that your life will truly be blessed when everything that you touch will provide you with a blessed life and no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. "Whatever I go through, whatever happens, "Either Way I Win"; whether God heals me here on earth, or heals me by calling me home to be with Him, "Either Way I Win"!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

To Many Identities

Those God foreknew, he also predestine to be conformed to the likeness of his Son (Romans 8:29). Many young people find their identity in a pro-athletic or team. While others idolize and emulate a rock star. Adults are more subtle, but we too will identify ourselves by our careers, our family roles, our hobbies or trends set by our favorite celebrities. It is human nature to pick an appealing image-any image-and then try to live up to it. We enthusiastically become like the people or ideals on which we set our affections. When we want to, we conform easily. Our desired image becomes a part of us.
When we become Christians, we may have found that we continually struggle to become Christlike. Why? If our affections are set on him as they once were on the trends and icons of our culture, wouldn't a godly transformation be a nature process for us? Perhaps that is just the problem. Perhaps our affections are not entirely Christ-ward. We easily let our love grow stale, losing the excitement that newness and discovery brought us at first. Other images-culture trends and newfound interest-become the object of our infatuation, while Jesus subtly and imperceptibly passes from adoration to our obligation.
When this happens we find godliness more of a struggle. It is hard to let ourselves conformed to the image of Jesus. When we hold another image in higher esteem. Other passions pull us in other directions, often making conflicting-or at least superfluous-demands on our character. Godly character cannot thrive in such a context. Our spirit will not fit into two modes simultaneously.
Is your growth toward godliness a difficult struggle? Examine your desires. How do you envision yourself? How would you like other to perceive you? What image do you aim for? If you find any image other than Jesus shaping your soul, abandon it. It will hinder your growth. Find your identity entirely in HIM.

No comments: